Friday, December 7, 2012

Easy Apple Pie Turnovers

Pin It Now!

My son spent all of yesterday asking for pop tarts.  He has never had a store pop tart, and I wasn't going to go buy him one.  I decided I would try a homemade pop tart with some puff pastry I had leftover in my freezer from the last time I made puff pastry.  I know he likes apple, so I made it easy on myself and used the can of apple pie filling I had in my cupboard (I know, I know, you can make it from scratch, but hey, I made the pastry part, and they are called "easy," so something has to give).  I searched for homemade pop tart recipes and came across Smitten Kitchen's recipe.  I used it as a guide and inspiration more than anything, but it is always nice to have a plan.   Once I made them, I decided that no matter how I worded it, I just could not legitimately call these pop tarts.  The crust was just too puffy and flaky and buttery.  So, I opted for the more likely accurate description of turnover.

So, after all the work I put into making these , I presented my son with one this morning, very excited for him to exclaim that this is the best thing he ever had, and instead he turned his nose down at it and proclaimed his dislike for pop tarts.  Crushed me, totally crushed me! And then later my husband tried one, said they were amazing, and the world was right again.  I had one, and yes, they are pretty fantastic.

I made this with my easy puff pastry recipe from a previous post, but of course, if you have frozen store bought dough, then use what you've got of course. 

Before being drizzled in sugary glaze goodness

EASY APPLE PIE TURNOVERS
(Inspired by Smitten Kitchen's Homemade Pop Tarts)

Makes 12 turnovers if the whole batch of puff pastry is used.

Ingredients: 
  • 1 recipe Easy Puff Pastry (Scroll down towards the bottom of the post for this link), (Thaw it in the fridge for several hours to overnight if frozen, or if refrigerated, leave it out for 15 minutes to soften slightly)
  • 1 can apple pie filling
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 recipe for Vanilla Glaze (See below)  
VANILLA GLAZE  
(Adapted from King Arthur Flour's Simple Cookie Glaze)
  • 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract, to taste
  • 2-3 tablespoons apple juice, for desired consistency
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup  
Directions:
  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Lightly dust with flour.  Place half of the puff pastry dough on the baking sheet.  Using a rolling pin, roll out in to a rectangle approximately 10 x 15 inches (it will be maybe 1/8 inch thick or thinner).  
  2. Using a pastry wheel, knife, or pizza cutter, trim the edges to form a nice rectangle, and then cut into four strips width wise, and three strips length wise, to form 12 squares.  
  3. Using the beaten egg, brush all the squares with the egg wash.
  4. Using a knife, I chop the apple pieces in the pie filling into smaller pieces, right in the can.  Using a tablespoon, start with a half tablespoon's worth of filling, and place it in to the center of 6 of the squares.  If it looks like it can hold a little bit more, than go ahead and add it.
  5. Place an unfilled pastry piece, egg wash side down, onto a filled piece.  Repeat for all pieces.
  6. Spread the pastries apart as necessary, and then using a fork, crimp all the way around the edges to seal.
  7. Using a toothpick or fork, poke several holes in the top of the pastry for the steam to escape.
  8. Repeat steps 1-7 for the second half of the puff pastry dough and place the finished turnovers all one one baking sheet, or keep on two separate ones.  
  9. Brush all the turnovers with more egg wash and place the tray in the freezer for 30 minutes.
  10. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  11. After 30 minutes, place the tray(s) into the oven for 22-27 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy.
  12. Make the glaze:  In a bowl mix the powdered sugar, vanilla, and corn syrup.  Add the apple juice one tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached for the glaze.  
  13. After the turnovers come out of the oven and have cooled slightly, drizzle with glaze, and enjoy warm.
  14. Store remaining pastries (if there are any left) in the fridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...